Math Tutoring Service

See my Mathematics Tutoring Service on Thumbtack

E36 Area of a Right Triangle

 A friend, Teddy O'Connell, sent me this geometry problem he found on the Web, which is not too hard and has a pretty neat solution.

Let ABC be a right triangle, with a right angle at C. Suppose that a circle has been inscribed in the triangle (the incircle) which is tangent to ABC at one point on each side including the point D on the hypotenuse AB, such that |AD| = 3 and |DB| = 5. Find (ABC), the area of triangle ABC. 


(drawing not to scale)

I will follow this posting with two comments. The first will contain a couple of hints, and the second (to be posted later) is my solution and a related question that I don't have an answer to.


2 comments:

Peter Ash said...

Hints for a solution:
(1) I think this problem is actually easier if you generalize it, assuming the given lengths are x and y rather than 3 and 5.
(2) All you need to know about the incircle is that any line segment drawn from the center of the circle (O) to a point on the circle (such as D) is a radius and so has the same length (usually denoted r) and is perpendicular to the line that is tangent to the circle at the end of the radius.

Ethan Bolker said...

Easy algebra - lots cancels to give a nice answer which I won't post as a spoiler.

How about a synthetic solution that <1> explains<\i> the answer.